Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Archeology--What the heck should I do?

Which direction should I go?


My dream for archeological discoveries never died, for me.  

 I read The Source a third time, maybe even a fourth.  Every now and then my father would bring in some arrow heads or shaped rock tools from the field he had freshly plowed.  I would handle each piece with reverence, knowing that ancient hands used this to survive in a harsh time.

Why didn't I keep them when Dad found them?

A Plaque is all that is left.

In the late 1960s and early 1970s, women were expected to be in the nurturing profession.  These included nursing and teaching, and maybe just maybe becoming a doctor.  Secretarial studies were also acceptable, even an office manager.  Very few CEOs were part of the female's world.

My father decided I would make a good teacher.  "No daughter of mine will ever be a nurse!"  So...

At Blackburn University (College), I prepared to become a teacher, with the hope that I could adapt my father's wishes to morph into another area (archeology, maybe?).  Taking the broad spectrum of education courses was exciting.  

 An artist—I wanted to study art.  

 No, Spanish!  I wanted to have a degree in Spanish.  

 Wait, anthropology and societal studies?  Man oh man.  I wanted it all. 

Finding one’s heart desire is nigh to impossible for one with a jumpy brain.  It all was fascinating, it all was inviting, but one has only a single lifetime.

One usually falls in love and mushy love brains follow where ever the beloved goes.

Archeology would have to wait.

6 comments:

  1. You are talking about so many people of a certain age. My sister and I always talked about becoming archeologists, but those were just dreams that could never come true. We were girls and only those professions that you mentioned were open to us. Anything else was considered just a silly whim. Then, of course, we were expected to be married and have a couple of kids by the age of 25.

    The world has changed so much since then and my daughters all grew up with dreams that could come true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jumped all around, I just wanted to get it done, but if I were to choose, writing would be it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up and I've been informed that it's highly unlikely I ever will (grow up that is).

    ReplyDelete
  4. What did your dad have against the nursing profession? I'm just curious. I had a jumpy brain, too, and loved learning. Still do. I am now pursuing things I've always dreamed of, beginning with taking my art classes one at a time at the local college. It's so fulfilling. It's true what they say, "The more you know, the more you realize you don't know," and also "you're not getting any younger." I don't want to go to the grave with a super long list of things I wish I'd done or tried. It's one reason I created a "100 in 1001" list, so I have a written map of pursuits. Have you been on a dig? A friend of mine went on her first last summer . She, too, was an avid arrowhead collector in her girlhood. She LOVED the dig but her 48 year old body rebelled the next day. It was fine. Body healed and she has that great memory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with Delores. I don't know what I want to be when I grow up either. Though archeaelogy has a big fascination. And there are so many different types of achaelogists that I could keep learning, learning, stepping sideways... I love you handling ancient artifacts with reverence, knowing that others many, many years ago had made them, used them, relied on them. Perhaps I could be an archaelogist of the sky because (apart from the made them) I look up at the stars and feel the same way. Awe and wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS. My father had reservations about nursing because I would see and handle the bodies of men who were strangers to me, and I might become coarsened by my nursing experience.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!