Friday, October 19, 2012

A Masquerade



A masquerade…quick!  What image comes to mind??

Depending on your age, there are many options. 

For me, it is “The Masque of the Red Death” by Edgar Allan Poe.  It was made into a movie long ago, and didn’t end well for 99% of the actors.  Only one innocent girl escaped the horror at the conclusion. 

source
source










For my daughter, it is “Labyrinth” with David Bowie and Jennifer Connelly.  A peculiar movie I thought at the time, I wouldn’t let my daughter watch it “until she was older”.  She watched it anyway, and now my granddaughters (ages 6 and 7 ½ years) have watched it a dozen times.  What a difference 25 years makes, I guess.


And now, those same granddaughters have attended their first “masquerade birthday party”.  So much went into planning.  The dresses had to be special.  Glitzy jewelry was a must.  Make-up?  You betcha. 

Bright Eyes and Sunshine going to the masquerade party

Personally, I think these little girls have the right idea for a masquerade ball.  Lots of giggling, running around, and playing at being adults is better than my images of the black death plague taking out the sinners dancing in a castle.

9 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness...look at those two grown up young ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah their idea is way better than your downer idea haha first idea that popped in my head was some Bond thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fingerless gloves. Much better to hold the cake fork and ice cream spoon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have never been to a masquerade ball or party--robyn went to a masquerade dance last year---we searched high and low for the perfect mask--only to find they all ditched them the moment they got to the dance--your granddaughters look adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've noticed references Labyrinth many times on the internet but I've never watched it. I take it there's some kind of masquerade?

    Cute picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't they look just beautiful. And full of the joy of life. Masquerade makes me think of my youth (and comfort reading to this day) and Georgette Heyer novels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are adorable, Susan. It looks like they got the attitude of those characters down pat.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!