Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Coincidences?

All photos from this Source

Throughout my life, I have heard about events when one person’s random decision changed his/her life or even saved their life. 

I was going to turn left and head to the store, but I forgot my list. Went back home, and then heard that the store was hit by a tornado.  I could have been killed…
Or
We were walking on the trail when I slipped.  Bob helped me up, and then the trail just ahead collapsed.  We would have been on it!

Random coincidences?  I believe more and more that there are no coincidences, or that things just happen.  Events are ordained, and the choices we make determine the outcome.


This is hard to explain.  In Isaiah 30:21

Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you saying, ‘This is the way; walk in it…’


Throughout my life, this has happened.  Once when I was coming out from a store, I decided to take the street to the right where one shop sold pecans instead of going left where I wanted to buy fabric.  I would eventually go to both stores.  But, by going right, I ran into a friend who was desperate to get home to her dying husband.  I drove her to her home.


Another time while I was traveling, I needed to find my daughter who would meet me somewhere, after I called her.  My cell phone was almost dead, I was in a foreign country where English was not universally spoken, and I was lost.  Deciding to turn left and go to a bus-hub corner, I made my last possible phone call.  She answered; she was across the street in a café with red umbrellas.  They had decided to have a coffee there spur of the moment.

This seems to happen more often to me, as I have learned to be aware of that ‘voice behind me’.

What about you?  Have you ever had an experience like that?  What happened?

17 comments:

  1. Yeah there is no coicidence, every little thing we do matters no matter how trivial.

    I planned to go out for groceries after work one day and then something just told me not to, so I went home instead, found the apartment building burning down and I was able to get in and get my cat out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could have been awful...but you listened to something, and your cat survived.

      Delete
  2. Being in the right place at the right time - being in the wrong place at the wrong time, who is to know why? Almost every day we come to a fork in the road and maybe we chose the wrong turn. Perhaps, though, that wrong turn takes us to a right place that we may never have found if not for that other decision. I try not to live with regrets or "what ifs" as the mistakes I've made have led me to where I want to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. It is the Robert Frost "Road Not Taken" thoughts.

      Delete
  3. Very interesting post. It is reather strange how things work out at times, as though a sixth-sense is working for us. I think humans are programmed to look for/see connections, find/make reasons for complex events... but even as a non-religous person I often get the feeling that things were meant to go a certain way. Horrific as they have been. Maye that's how we cope.

    "Of all the cafes, in all the places, you had to walk into this one with the red umbrellas..." ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly. We do follow our own paths, right to the red umbrellas.

      Delete
  4. I've never had an experience like this before, at least not that I can think of right now. But I think it's such a fascinating idea, and I don't doubt that it happens. Very interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was going home to see the folks one weekend but one thing after another happened to hold me up..finally decided to stay home...next morning when we went out to the car the brakes failed as we drove out on to the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how many times I have felt that urge to wait or to hold back, and it was the wise choice. Glad you experienced it as well.

      Delete
  6. I cannot recall any of these moments in my life, but I certainly wouldn't discount them either. I do believe that our choices can affect the rest of our lives and sometimes that of others as well, but that was not, I think, what you meant.

    Ok. With further thought one does leap to mind. Last year when my partner retired to bed saying he had a stomache ache I called the ambulance against his protests. We were later told that he had been dying by the time we reached hospital. If I had listened to him, he would now be dead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he is doing well, or at least improving.

      Delete
  7. I totally agree with you on this one. I had a cousin who went to Columbine high school and had a dentist appointment that day, and I know a guy who worked in the Pentagon right where it got hit and called in sick the morning of September 11th. I firmly believe that things happen for a reason.

    Sarah Allen
    (From Sarah, With Joy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both people were spared for a reason. Wow. What events they escaped!

      Delete
  8. faith does not allow for coincidences.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so neat when things like this happen. My mom is sending "God Winks" with me to read while we're on vacation. I can't wait to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Susan,
    Most interesting and was it a coincidence that I dropped in on you during my blog tour? Or was it that I was spurned on by the fact I noted you had left a comment on another site and it made me realise that I had not left a comment on your lovely site for some time.
    I once mistook the wrong butt. Figuring it was Jackie's rear, I said, "hey Jackie. Would you like to go to my party?" Veronica turned around and blushed. We ended up getting married and it all started out with the mistaken identity butt. True story. Have a peaceful weekend.
    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!