Wednesday, September 26, 2012

....and then...and then...


Source


Life is a chain of events, I know that is true.  These happenings link up to form the past.  That is how it works, and wonderfully so.


What I desire for a while is a period of time in which the weeks are filled with simple day-to-day activities:  laundry, going to a movie, reading, and such. 

This past few years have been labeled “…And Then…” years.

When my mother started to decline, “…And Then…” started.  Each phone call and each visit always led to something more.  When Mom died in April 2011, I thought life would resume the laundry and movie routine.  But, it didn’t.

All those “…and then…” events occurred:  A broken ankle.  A fall/sprawl (broken ankle betrayed me).  Trips to far-off places.  Christmas and birthdays.  Serious illness and surgery (for my husband’s mother).  Subsequent care following. 

Then...my daughter fell, broke bones in her foot, had surgery, was ‘laid up’ for two months.  Then…my other daughter had a baby boy!

More trips to far-off places.  And then…

Maybe I am whining about life in general.  Maybe I am like my wee grandson who cries when he needs something, and it is up to his parents to figure out what that is. 

If I could push a “pause” button, I would. Should I?  Would you? 

 

15 comments:

  1. There always seems to be something else, just when you get one thing in your rear view another thing crops up, life can be crap sometimes. I guess the only way to get those pause moments is to unplug the phone, internet, etc. and not talk to anyone or leave the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gilda Radner had a wonderful expression, "It's always something." Given the choice, I would rather something than nothing. Although I have wanted some pauses in my busy life, when I got them, I quickly grew tired of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosanna Danna--good memories. You are correct, of course.

      Delete
  3. wow--you have had too much in the injury and illness area---so sorry---i know how much that takes out of a person----our mothers died the same year--mine in august-----i don't know if i would hit the pause button--cause i am the kind of person that wants to get good and bad things done and over with---enjoy that wee one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look at his photos every day, and count the days until they come here at Christmas. Sorry about your mother--it was a rough year for you, too.

      Delete
  4. There is no pause button. No go back button, either. Probably just as well. They would deduct from the time we do have to use. I'm a get on with it kinda girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just grab those few 'ordinary' days when they crop up...enjoy them...but I certainly wouldn't want a steady diet of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would be very happy to lead an ordinary life. The reputedly Chinese curse 'may you live in interesting times' has always horrified me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It would depend. I'd hate to press Pause and lose opportunities, even if they came with obstacles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not sure... I think God sometimes pushed our boundaries to strengthen us and help us grow.

    To wish for it to be otherwise (although I sometimes do) feels like I don't trust Him as much as I say I do. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by to visit my blog.

    I feel this too sometimes but maybe it's the inbetween moments we are supposed to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah yes... some days, weeks, months, years are more trying than others. Those big happenings seem like that's all that's happening. But it isn't so. Inbetween, I bet there have been days of stillness. No doubt they will come again. Be ready.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have the "and then..." years when I'm waiting for something big to happen. Then it happens and I look back and wonder why I was so caught up on waiting instead of living. I'm learning to enjoy each new day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Susan, the "and then" days can last for weeks or months, but in their midst what seems essential to me is to take a few minutes--five will do--and go down into that deep center of yourself where Oneness dwells and there you can connect/unite with all those who have raised you and taught you and touched your life. It is there that peace flows like a river between all who love you. Peace.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!