Tuesday, July 17, 2012

PhotoPrompt: The Old Bin

From Delores @ thefeatherednest



The storage bin had been a part of the farm house as long as anyone could remember.  Even back many generations, that bin was there, leaning up against the barn. 

It used to store chicken feed.  Farmer Gunter got rid of the chickens after a few decades. 

Then the bin was used to keep coal before the farmer switched to propane.  He cleaned the bin out and thought about how it could be used.  He even asked his wife Bernadette what they should do with the empty bin.

Bernie launched into another harangue about him being too lazy to even think for himself, and then moved on to his other deficiencies.  The list was long.  Gunter stared at her blankly as she continued.

After some time, Gunter packed up his suitcase and gathered up all their money stored in the cellar since the Great Depression.  As he passed by the bin, he patted the lid which sported shiny new nails all around the perimeter. 

“You’re right, Bernie.  I shoulda thought of this long ago.”  Silence was his answer.

9 comments:

  1. Oh man....am I ever glad we don't have one of those bins against our house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I had seen bins like that on neighboring farms, but no one ever used them--that I know about, so who knows?

      Delete
  2. You and Delores are dipping into the macabre today. You may be watching too much Law and Order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes one has to take a story to walk on the dark side. It felt right to put Bernadette in the bin, silenced forever.

      Delete
  3. Ah yes, the bin. Although, I'm kinda' hoping he'd of passed on the money stored in the cellar, to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'd best give my husband some positive reinforcement for the next little while... ;) I like a walk on the dark side! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sly old guy. Can't say I condone the actions, but I can understand his frustration I suppose.


    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahahahaha oh dear. Someone snapped. Nice twist. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!