Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Heroes No More

Like all people who desire something besides re-runs on TV and are not willing to take a lengthy walk, we have been going to see the big name summer movies.
Some are worth the walk from the car to the theater.  Some are not.  Recently we found ourselves before the silver screen to watch “Snow White and the Huntsman”.  All the actors are easy on the eyes and the action is fast.  The special effects are effective.
After the movie we talked about how much we have changed.  In our youth, we could identify with an actor on the screen. 

My husband always felt pulled toward the warrior figure.  Either the archer or the man fighting valiantly with a lethal sword—those were the characters to which he aligned himself.

I was never the heroine, but I was her darn cute friend, the spunky side-kick who supported the star and kept her safe. 

But now?  We looked at each other and burst out laughing. 
I told my husband that we were one of the townspeople who lined the streets as the heroic figures rode by.  He would a farmer bringing turnips into the village, holding onto the harness of the donkey pulling the cart.  Or maybe he was the fishmonger.  I don't know.
Me?  I was the friendly baker’s wife or the grouchy woman tasked with scrubbing down the cobblestones. 

We may stick to Pixar movies for a while.  I hear “Madagascar 3” is okay.

16 comments:

  1. haha yeah it does seem that through different stages of life we relate to the different characters in the movies. Pixar ones are easier, no relating to a car haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always figure I'd be one of those people in the crowd running from Godzilla or whatever. But there are no small parts, only small actors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I get so annoyed when all you see are pretty faces! There's a show where the medical examiner wears these seemingly 7 inch heels. I aks you what woman who spends her days standing over cadavers wears stilts like that to work? Ugh! I'm with you...I'd be the lady selling wilted flowers on the corner.
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is too cute! Seriously, I'll go to movies, really like a character, and then get really bummed when I find out they're younger than me! Case in point: The Avengers. Not a Thor fan, but I was curious about his age (and since he's posted at the top of your post, I thought I'd use him as an example). He was born in 1983. He's younger than my "baby" sister! Argh! At least I know Robert Downy, Jr. is older than me. Strangely, I feel at peace with that!

    Cheers!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'I was never the heroine, but I was her darn cute friend, the spunky side-kick who supported the star and kept her safe.'

    That is a lovely detail, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought it was odd that I always enjoy the animations far more than I do the movies with live actors. Maybe you've hit on the reason why.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL!!! This made me smile because I've been feeling the same way after the Scribe keeps making me watch teen movie after teen movie. The same characters used to be so cute--now they're so immature . . . and I fit into the "overbearing mother" category ;) *still smiling*

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S. Susan, I think you'd make a perfect Heroine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a charming stroll with time. This is righteous. My ten year old grandson just resurrected that word and it was jarring to hear it, at first.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hear you. As we age, we become the bit player, in the background, part of the crowd. It's OK, we had our moment in the sun, and now it is time to fill in the spaces. Someday it will even happen to Angelina Jolie.

    However, Susan, the best parts are always played by character actors, and I think you could fit those roles very well. If it is not meaty enough, just write some more into it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "The special effects were effective." LOL. I love your take on self as actor. I played Amaryllis in "The Music Man" on the community stage when I was a girl. If I were to act again in the same play, I'm sure I'd be Mayor Shinn's wife stretching up out from a lazy position on the floor being a Grecian Urn.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd be okay with being paid to scrub movie cobblestones instead of not being paid to scrub my own kitchen floor :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. And you get to scrub down the cobblestones of the rotting vegetables that were chucked at me in the public square :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hahaha so true. Nowadays I watch almost all movies from the POV of an interested bystander. A lot of the actors are too generic for me to care about them more, and if I don't care, I can't identify.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's hilarious! I was actually once a rat (in a pack of rats) in a play at school, so I don't think I ever really aligned with anyone decent. Turnip bringer. LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!