Monday, June 4, 2012

PhotoPrompt#5

Delores at myfeatherednest

The wheelchair was unloaded first, while Jim helped Velma from the van.  Settling into the wheel contraption, Velma cursed inwardly. It’s a stroke, girl.  It’s not a life sentence.  I can, I will walk again…

“Okay, Mom.  Now, we’ll just turn this around, and we’ll get us inside.”  Her son Jim told her soothingly, as if she were a child.

I am not turning a damn thing around, or getting any one inside.  Velma blinked back the tears.  You seem to be doing everything.  But she managed, “…’kay.”

Pushing along the bumpy sidewalk to the new ramp, Jim noticed a white flower blooming from a crack in the concrete.  “Well, what’ya know?  When did that happen?  I’ll dig it out later, Mom…”

Wait!  How did it do that? “Nnnno…ll..it..groow!”  Velma smiled. On its own, her foot reached out to touch it.  If it can do that, then these legs can walk.



Running inside to answer the phone, Shelly called over her shoulder, “Tim, you wait for me before you open that cellar door, okay?”  Without waiting for an answer, Shelly grabbed the phone.

“Shelly…Shelly?  Is that you?”
  
“Hi, Grandma!  Didn’t expect to hear from you so soon after your visit yesterday!  What….”  

“Shelly, listen to me.  I found out about the folks who built your house.  Shelly, whatever you do, DO NOT open that cellar door!  You hear me…?  Shelly?”

A distant scream sounded and then the line went dead.

Post note:  This photo was intriguing!  Through some trail following, this is its original site:
http://www.ibrattleboro.com/article.php/20120602191544182
Thanks, Laura!!!






13 comments:

  1. Your red door story gave me shivers....that was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That photo begged for something creepy.

      Delete
  2. Evil always lurks in the cracks and dark crevices of our imagination. Great story, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our minds can be the lightest or darkest of places. It just depends where we choose to let it go.

      Delete
  3. Excellent visuals in both pieces!!! Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weren't the photo choices awesome!?

      Delete
  4. Two very different stories with potential for more. What's in the cellar!! We need more on that one. Such fun.


    Lee
    Wrote By Rote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annemarie: Glad they got to you!

      Lee: There is a whole story that continue with each.

      Delete
  5. Such imaginative writing on both PhotoPrompts! I like how you ended on a hopeful note for the first story, and sent shivers down my spine when the phone went dead! Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love kettle corn, so I wanted the stories to be like that: sweet and salty.

      Delete
  6. Excellent interpretation on both prompts, Susan!
    I love your story of resilience and perseverance in the first piece!
    What's behind the red door??! *shudders*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea what is really behind that red cellar door. But, the creation of great evil is open for all readers.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!