Friday, June 29, 2012

Ocean through New Eyes



The Pacific Ocean is twenty miles from our house.  We live in the middle between the San Jacinto Mountains and the ocean.

My husband’s brother Brian came to a rented beach house from Utah and spent a week listening to ocean’s tides.  Our jaded and clouded eyes were opened and we viewed the Pacific Ocean through their eyes.

Did you know that dolphins can be seen without binoculars, a mere 100 feet out from the sand?  My daughter spotted them, and we lifted Sunshine and Bright Eyes onto the ledge.  With a head resting against mine, Bright Eyes gazed along my outstretched arm and pointed finger to see the curved backs and fins leaping from the water. 

Dolphins were never so incredible before.

My granddaughters’ hair smelled of ocean.  Reddened from the sun, their soft cheeks had grains of sand still clinging.  Damp beach towels radiated warmth between us.  The ocean never was so amazing.


Did you know that sand glitters with gold and quartz as the tide comes in and then recedes?  “Real gold, Grandma!  Look!”  Wet sand will never be the same after seeing it in Sunshine’s hands.

My niece Kamille walked along the beach with her tall husband Zach.  He said something funny, and she turned to gaze up at him.  Her smiling profile with her rounded baby belly, their two children jumping in the water and laughing—creation and life will always be defined by that image in my head.

I will gaze out on the salt waters with brighter eyes from now on.

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Somehow the air is better at the ocean.

      Delete
  2. This is exactly what it feels like to be at the ocean. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so beautiful where you live. What I wouldn't give to live near an ocean, or even a lake! One day. :) But nothing is more magical than seeing through a small child's eyes again. Last night there was a large moth flitting about the house, under my daughter's ceiling light, and she said "Ohhhh, it's bea-uuu-tiful". Made me think twice about even a moth!

    Beautiful, vivid writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing anything at all through a child's eyes reminds us that life is unique and special.

      Delete
  4. Yeah seeing it all my life, I think I've taken it for granted too. Will have to give it a second look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See if you can go with friends who have children--then you will really see the ocean.

      Delete
  5. Treasures for everyone. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading this made my heart swell. Such beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even a photo of an ocean stirs something inside me.

      Delete
  7. i can see it all now---what beautiful thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Susan, this is a lovely post, bringing as it does to all of us a new appreciation of all that we fail to notice when it becomes familiar to us. Thank you. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lynn: Thank you for your kind comments. I appreciate your viewpoints.

    Dee: When our surroundings become as repeat commercials, it is time to develop a new perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A new way of looking at the old and familiar... a fresh perspective... and it's always magical viewed through the eyes of a child! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!