Monday, June 18, 2012

The Boy who Watches and Waits

Source listed in earlier post


Mommy brings me here every day.  In the morning.  She gets me up, and I eat oatmeal.  She likes oatmeal, but I don’t.  I eat it ‘cause she tells me to.

Then we come here, to this bridge.  This is where I stand, right here by this piece of bubble gum. One time I tried to pick it up, but Mommy stopped me.  She said it was yucky.  But it tasted fine, ‘cause I licked my fingers after.

Why do I come here?  You mean, to the bridge here?  Oh.

Mommy says that the river goes all the way to the ocean.  Did you know the ocean is salty?  It is!  Oh.

She said that someday my daddy will row his boat right up to this bridge.  ‘Cause he went away to the ocean to work, and he’ll be back any day now.

Maybe tomorrow! And I’ll be standing right here!  By this bubble gum! 

Do you think my daddy will bring me some gum?

7 comments:

  1. Sweet little story. Is this our photoprompt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It appears I put the horse before the cart! Sorry--the photoprompt is up and running, now!

      Delete
  2. To cute and all to true for some kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of all the children who have parents in the military or away for some reason.

      Delete
  3. This is adorable, and I love the bubble gum touch! Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to meet a small child who won't try to peel up a piece of chewed gum if no one is watching!

      Delete
  4. Very sweet and sad at the same time... his simple logic is touching as he tries to make sense of the world around him, which includes waiting for his absent daddy.
    I must join in this prompt sometime... love my flash fiction...

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!