Tuesday, January 24, 2012

With Lightning Speed



I was on a long-weekend trip with my husband to Idyllwild, California.  The mountain air was brisk; there was the promise of snow in the air.

We wore coats because it was cold and we needed them.  Those coats were so thrilled to be let out into daylight; lingering in a closet must be depressing to a coat meant to shield one from rain, or buffer away the cold wind.

We did our best to support the mountain economy, buying mugs and gifts for our granddaughters.  Anything with a red cardinal on it was in my hands and at the cash register in lightning speed.

It was in the Mountain of Books store that I found a book by Alice Hoffman, The Ice Queen.

Recently, one of my posts dealt with the issue of being invisible.  The M/C narrator (never ever given a name) in this book survives by her ‘invisibility’.   Then she is struck by lightning.  Instead of killing her, this electric life-changing event sends her in a different life direction.

Are people drawn to each other because of the stories they carry inside?  At the library I couldn’t help but notice which patrons checked out the same books.  They appeared to have nothing in common, but who could tell what a person was truly made of?  The unknown, the riddle, the deepest truth.

Reading the narrator’s journey left me wondering about this being-invisible status so many of us share.  It made me resolve to break through the shields of the invisible. 

7 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great trip - and what an interesting book - goodluck in breaking through those barriers... they are well established.
    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Working at a library was so truly interesting. It is neat wondering what people carry deep inside ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Alice Hoffman's writing and have (I think) all of her novels Clean, elegant prose and the ability to assume different voices (as in you don't feel that all her books are from the same perspective). I was given her latest 'The Dovekeepers' for Christmas and am really looking foreard to it.
    And I think that mostly the parts of us that make us who we are are held deep inside and visible only to the trusted few.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's an interesting thought. In a way, all of us are invisible at some point, depending on whether those around us realize we're there.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good teaser. I know that I tend to make myself as invisible as possible most of the time. Now is the time to reverse it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Susan,
    The truth that forced itself on me so many years ago is that each of us is Mystery--to ourselves and to others. We never know what sorrow or tragedy or experience, pain or joy or dream lives within the other. And so we must tread carefully as Moses took off his shoes before the burning bush.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!