Saturday, January 14, 2012

Oh, the days of college....

"What should I do?  What career should I pursue?"

Going away to college…just writing the words hauls up the memories of anticipation and excitement.   
Since 8th grade I had been planning for college.  My future career changed frequently, depending on what book I was reading at the time.  One day I would decide to be a nurse, after reading the biography of Florence Nightengale.  The next day I wanted to be a doctor, after reading about Louis Pasteur. 

With college, the options opened wide for a farm girl from an isolated rural area.

I still can sense the nervousness of signing up for classes and planning the schedule.  Buying the books was a shock; $28 for one textbook!  Can you imagine! 

But those years are long past.  I have taken many post-graduate courses, bought many textbooks ($150 for one textbook!).  Even now, when the local community college course catalog arrives, I find myself looking through it with that same sense of excitement.

But things have changed, as the needs of life change.  The course titles for my group are very different.

Take note of the recent classes for the workforce and community development:

*Let’s make a bikini!


*Backyard chickens!





*Mastering the 
Bandsaw!

*Tie-Dye, parts 1, 2, and 3!



*What Were You Born to Do?!  Find out!


*Be Forever Stress-Free with EFT!



There are, of course, other courses for vocation and career changes.  Those courses will be invaluable to the younger generation seeking careers and such.  But, for me?  A person who lists "writer" as an occupation?

Somehow, I am drawn to “Mastering the Bandsaw!”

16 comments:

  1. I've always wondered what I was "born to do". Do you think it's too late to find out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bandsaw, huh? That back yard chicken thing looks pretty good to me. But have you ever cleaned a chicken coop? I have.... think I'd forego that.
      But the truly wonderful thing, with freedom, we can be, do anything we want.

      Delete
    2. Oh, yes, the bandsaw. There was a home decorating show, 'Trading Spaces', years ago. Now I walk through the hand tool section at Home Depot, and touch the power tools. Yum.

      Delete
  2. Lord knows, you can never have enough tie dyed clothes. Imagine what you can learn in Part 2 and 3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly, Arlene. We could start a business.

      Delete
  3. I was brought up believing that everyone has a 'special talent'. I sadly fear that it is a bit late for mine to be unveiled.
    Interesting mix of courses there. I wouldn't want to use the bandsaw on the chickens, but perhaps it would improve the tie dyed articles. Bikini? Oh no. Not this black duck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the bikini thing doesn't work for me either. You and Arlene and me--Tie Dye would work for all of us!

      Delete
  4. Hehe - I understand that - I am a partly trained plumber who works in fashion - I got carried away with one of those catalogues one day and can now solder a mean joint :)
    Lx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a truly marketable talent, then! I am not sure how soldering and fashion could meld, but it is a thought!

      Delete
  5. Dear Susan,
    I'm fortunate in that I don't have to learn a trade, being retired now. I find myself drawn back to school to study contemporary poetry, the history of the Middle East, Old English, Classical Greek, the history of Capitalism, and Comparative Religion. Oh, so much to learn and so little time. That''s one of the reasons I want to return to Minnesota. To take some classes and branch my dendrites!

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always told my students, "Stretch those dendrite branches, or lose 'em!" Once I explained the brain and how it works, they would laugh.

      Delete
  6. Hi Susan! hmm, I still love to look through class listings, too. I think it's the lifelong learner in us! I truly believe we're never too old to learn something new, and I'm forever excited to learn, just about anything! I like learning new things, and I like learning new ways to do something I already knew how to do.

    I really want to have backyard chickens, but my husband says, emphatically, "No!" Probably because he has learned that I tend to want to do things that he ends up taking care of in the end , . . the garden is a strong case in point! I wanted one, and I haven't pulled a weed in years. He's so good at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I get fired up about a garden and some plants, he listens, nods, and then lets me fizzle out. He is wise.

      Delete
  7. I love to look through college catalogs and think about when I can go back to school. This makes me think maybe it's been a bit too long since I checked. I'm pretty sure you can learn at least half of those via YouTube. ;-p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bikini class would be interesting on YouTube, but the backyard chickens would have to be put to music.

      Delete
  8. I just now realized that there is a "reply" under the comments! I have been blogging for a year now, and I just realized this! Sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!