Wednesday, January 18, 2012

...Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound...


One good or bad effect of having my type of migraines is that I have hyper sensitive senses.  Honest!  I can hear your thoughts even while you read this, and sense your doubt.  But it is true.

At the movies, my super sense of smell can tell me that the man in two rows behind me had pepperocini on his B.M.T. Subway sandwich.  That can be a good thing, or sometimes a bad thing

With my super sense of hearing, I can hear conversations when I really shouldn’t be able to hear them.  Factor in some ability in lip reading, well, it can be good or bad. 

Oh, Lindsay!  I wish I were more like you, in so many ways....
My hyper hearing recently gave me many moments of pleasure.

My husband and I recently took Sunshine to Wal-Mart for a quick shopping trip.  Wal-Mart is not a good place for me on so many levels:  the noise, the lighting, and Lord-please-help-me, the smells.  The cheese balls alone can send me into a spinning world. 

Given those facts, the trips to Wal-Mart must be hyper quick, in a run on a directed path. 

This time, Grandpa, Sunshine, and I were there to buy some sewing supplies.  It is a boring place for a kindergartner and a grandpa. 
Within minutes, Sunshine announced she was hungry. “There’s a McDonald’s here, did you see it, Grandpa?  And we could…”

Grandpa was ahead of her, and as they walked away, my super hearing heard a good portion of their conversation.  The important bits are here:

Sunshine: …blah, blah, blah, Happy Meal, blah, blah, diet Coke…
Grandpa: …blah, blah, blah, No, blah, blah, hamburger, blah, share a drink…
Sunshine: …But, Grandpa, blah, blah, blah, Happy Meal!...Toy, blah, blah…
Grandpa: …Blah, blah, No, Sunshine!...blah, blah,…a cheeseburger, then…
Sunshine: …blah! Blah! But, Grandma X. always lets me…Blah!
Grandpa: …blah, blah…Then nothing, okay?...
Sunshine: …blah…a cheeseburger, then…

The voices faded away, and I knew that I would find Sunshine glumly eating a cheeseburger, with a smiling Grandpa.  There would be no toy, or anything.

courtesy of Bing.com
I didn’t need any super skills to see that one.  I know my husband.

28 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. With a kindergartner like Sunshine, we have to be quick on our brains--she is cute and has the most beautiful big blue eyes.

      Delete
  2. This is too funny! I know how you feel about Wal-Mart. I don't have migraines, but I am very sensitive to my surroundings and that place is just too much on so many levels!

    Happy Wednesday,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wal-Mart is awful, along with CostCo. If only I could skate, then it would go much faster.

      Delete
  3. Dear Susan,
    The dialogue between Sunshine and her grandfather was so well done. It quickly moved me to that final line of yours. A delightful posting.

    Peace,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dee. Little girls, especially, have a high-pitch voice that can cut through the loudest roar.

      Delete
  4. Ah, Susan, my husband will get the Happy Meal, even when he boycotts McDonalds! It's true! Funny post. I rarely go to Wal-Mart, for all the reasons you mentioned and more. But, once in a while, it's happened. You're right, go in, get it, get out quick! I just love your stories about Sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Men. What more can be said?
      Wal-Mart is a remarkable store, but not for me.

      Delete
  5. Sunshine is and (I hope) will always be a source of great stories. My other granddaughter, sister Bright Eyes is almost adult in her reasoning and speech. The stories I have about her are harder to explain. She, too, is darn cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The little dickens can be so manipulative. The wee man gets in our car after school and the first words out of his mouth are "Grandma, I'm SO hungry". Knowing, as we do, that his Mom packed him a good lunch but he didn't eat it because he would rather play, we don't fall for that. We tell him his Mom has a snack waiting. The "super powers" of grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to have 'super powers' to help our own kids survive being parents. My gr-kids do the same thing with their lunches---grrr.

      Delete
  7. haha Men don't get the importance of the happy meal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, funny. I used to wish iwas lindsy Wagner. Or maybe I just wanted to kiss lee majors. Or be bionic. Gratost, new follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband really liked Linsay Wagner. I thought Lee and Lindsay should hook up, but I heard they had real personality clashes. Oh well.

      Delete
  9. Sunshine and her grandpa--so darling ;). I loved their conversation.

    Happy meals are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grandma's know what grandchildren want and realize it's no big thing. Grandpa's don't,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True--but my husband handled Sunshine with such soft and loving humor. She loves him so much.

      Delete
  11. Awwww man you get super powers? No fair! All I get is pounding knife twisting pain!
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There has to be some degree of compensation for all this pain!!

      Delete
  12. It is light and sound which triggers my migraines but I do know how you feel. Shopping centres are a nightmare on those fragile days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, so true. CostCo is the worst, next to any store that has a big supply of scented candles.

      Delete
  13. Hahaha your husband actually sounds a lot like my younger brother. But then, he sounds exactly like my Grandfather had.

    :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think grandparents study from the same texts to learn this loving approach? I wonder sometimes.

      Delete
  14. Thanks for the follow! Exciting to find a new blog to keep checking back on. I'll be knocking on your door.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kids need to learn to be practical. I'd probably do something like that.


    Lee
    Have you heard about the A to Z Video Challenge?
    Blogging from A to Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think many grandparents would do that, unless they didn't spend much time with their little ones.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!