Thursday, October 6, 2011

Recipes from my Mother's Cookbook

Mom and Grandma: two of the best cooks I've known

My mother was a creative cook and could make anything taste good.  There was always plenty of food for extra people, and they could count on great pie for dessert, with coffee.  These aspects figure strongly in my book, In Preacher’s Creek.



Like many farm wives, my mother was part of the Home Extension Association.  Once a month the farm women would meet at one’s home, listen to a lesson presented by two of their group about foreign countries and foods.  It was a time to socialize, eat, and bring home interesting recipes.

Please note:  heavy wear


My mother was part of a committee that put together the first cookbook:  Pick County (Illinois) Homemakers’ Favorite Recipes, 1982.  I am posting two recipes from this cherished cookbook.

Index Page:  my mom, Irma Peck
Potato Chip Cookies  contributed by my sister-in-law, Cheryl Peck

1 c. sugar              
 2 c. flour

1 c. brown sugar 
1 c. butter (soft)    
 1 tsp. bk. soda

2 eggs, beaten
       
 1 (6 oz.) pkg. butterscotch chips

                                                
                                                 1 med.pkg. crushed potato chips


Combine the first six ingredients until well mixed.  Add the last two, folding them in gently.  Drop by teaspoon on ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 deg. for 10 to 12 minutes.  Make 4 dozen. 
This page saw a lot of action:  Wacky Cake
  

Velveeta Cheese Fudge

1 lb. butter           
1 lb. Velveeta Cheese 
4 lbs. powdered sugar 

1 c. Hershey’s Cocoa powder
1 Tblsp. Vanilla

(Nuts, if desired)

Melt cheese and oleo.  Mix cocoa and sugar together.  Add the two mixtures, stir well, then add vanilla and nuts.  Pour into two greased pans.  Make 6 (six) pounds of fudge.  Mom says it was good, and she would have known. Recipe may be halved.


5 comments:

  1. I love those old cookbooks the farm wives or church members put together. Years ago our group at work produced one to raise money for our Christmas families. Always some good, proven recipes in them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi- I'm here from over at Delore's thefeatherednest! One of my childhood food memories is:
    3- slices thick bologna cut into bite size squares
    1/2 cup vinegar, salted to taste

    Blend bologna into vinegar.
    Eat with fingers.

    We loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Old cookbooks are wonderful! Thanks for sharing your memories of them and your mother.

    And I love the title of your book, In Preacher's Creek.
    Ann Best, Author of In the Mirror, A Memoir of Shattered Secrets

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cooking and this is like a treasure to me! I can't wait to try these recipes. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Susan, thank you for sharing these two recipes. I'm not much of a fudge eater, but I love potato chips and so those cookies will be tried and eaten here!

    Those parish cookbooks with their homemade recipes are a treasure.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!