Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Nature will not be denied

"Nature will not be denied..."

Years ago, maybe even fifteen years, we watched “Jurassic Park” with great enthusiasm.  The cast had Sam Neill, Laura Dern, Sir Richard Attenborough, and Jeff Goldblum, along with equally strong actors whose names I can’t recall.  This was awesome in my thinking from the idea that the very big past could somehow be revived.  The stellar quote was from Jeff Goldblum:  “Nature will not be denied.”

While these references seem to be an awkward writing intro that segues into the prime topic, I find it truly appropriate to the subject.

Before my family went on a 5 day trip, I tended to my plans.  One plant in particular had gotten sassy and was sending out runners to seek out new homes.   
You're going into time-out, fella.

This is its way of propagating, since it does not have a sex life of which I am aware.  I had to get nasty with it, and cut off those randy runners.  I am not heartless or wasteful, and I put the runners in water so they could establish roots.   They would find a new planter and a new home in the future.

I returned and checked on my plants.  This aggressive mean-spirited plant had sneaked a runner underneath and through another plant, to wheedle its way into a third plant’s home.  

 WELL, I said.  WELL.  And, not only that, a lonely leaf that had been lying in the sink for six days without water was quite happily green and hearty, creating its only little water seeking root.  WELL.


Lecturing the plant on etiquette and personal space, I trimmed off the plant’s 2 ½ foot runner, plopped some in rooting glasses, and threw away a long stretch of the 
vine. 


In the process, I discovered one root that had stretched out so far, all of eight and one-quarter inches.  These guys are dangerous.



I will have to keep a daily watch on these plants, and give most of them away.  I will go out at night, and set them on a door stoop.  The pots are very nice, but this is a necessary sacrifice.

8 comments:

  1. Leave mother nature alone for a few months and she'll have us hanging off the planet by a vine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehehe probably another reason why I stay away from plants: I'd come home and find it's been taken over.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nature truly does find a way of always surviving in one form or another. Nice Jurassic Park reference too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a plant we call Audrey III, that we put in the basement 10 years ago. She had grown to an enormous size and taken over our living room. We could not throw her away, as she had lived with us for many years, but walking into that room was like going into a jungle. It took 3 people to get her downstairs. Now she sits in front of a small window, continually growing and spreading her roots all about. We warn people before going downstairs to watch themselves because on the right hand corner lies a Little Shop of Horrors

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Susan, Ah, as I age I find myself wishing for the life force of plants. That vitality that sends their roots inching deep into the earth and their tendrils grasping hold of whatever they encounter.

    Oh to be so full of energy. To be so connected to the Force.

    I want to thank you for your comment on my convent posting today. Its final words came softly to me--easily and with a certainty that they were true then--and now.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, I love the idea of your 'Little Shop of Horrors". One of the most amazing places to me is the jungle-seeing plants 10 times the size of how they grow in my house is so awe inspiring!
    http://mamawolfe-living.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent story. Mother Nature is truly a menacing lady, at times. Here in the south, we have a notorious vine called Kudzu. An import from some faraway land, it will encompass the forests here within a few decades, smothering the tree until death. There are hazards to importing plant and animal life ... Mother Nature has no mercy on non-thinkers ...

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!