Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Grandma, why did you marry Grandpa?

“Grandma, I don’t know how to say this.”
Sunshine, just go ahead and say it.
“I mean, I love Grandpa, but…
Why did you marry him?”
I glanced over at my husband,
December 1972, our wedding day
nearly asleep in the rocker. 
His face was flushed
from the heat,
and his graying hair 
looked almost silver.
Sunshine looked at him, long
and hard.  “He has a big tummy.”

Why, yes, Grandpa is fat.

“Oh, Grandma!  Mommy said 
we can’t say that
he is fat!”
It’s okay, he already knows it.
It came to me that Sunshine 
had never known us
as we were, when we met
and fell in love.




So I told her how young we were, how his hair
Just out of college.  So young.
was black and curly, and he was thin then.
I told her how my hair was so long that
it came to my waist.
I told her how we met and then
 we…got married.


Oh, the day of hot-pants!






Sunshine looked back and forth at us.
Long and hard.  
 She gave up. 
“Okay, Grandma.  If you say so.”

10 comments:

  1. We did think we were quite something in our hot pants. I had one that was red polka dot and another that was more "formal" that I actually wore to a wedding. It was grey, 100% double-knit polyester and had a vest. I bet I wore it with platform shoes. Ah, the seventies, such a decade of good taste.

    However, Susan you look very good in your outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, me too, jumping over all the romance and wonderful memories to focus on "hot pants". I had two pair that I wore to work. They actually looked like a mini dress and had the little shorts underneath. One was navy blue and one was sunshine yellow. Ah..polyester..wash and wear..no more dry cleaning. Fashionistas.
    Those romantic days when we met and married are SO long ago...I sometimes ask myself the same question Sunshine asked you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha don't I ever have or ever will worry about hot pants, at least on me..haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. You rocked those pants! Love the story. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Susan, Sunshine just can't imagine you and your husband as anything else but what she knows. But within yourself you remember and that, of course, is what is important. That, and appreciating who you have both become and embracing the changes.

    Now that I'm 75 I find myself looking at pictures of myself years ago and thinking for the first time--she really was strong--or courageous--or attractive--or fun. It's as if I have a friend who's in kindergarten and then in the convent and then out of the convent and skiing in Minnesota, teaching in New Hampshire, making friends in Ohio. A full and rich life that I've lived.

    Coming to peace with all of myself has made such a difference for me.

    Peace to you too today, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Susan--Dee here again. Thank you for your comment on my blog posting today. I remember that incident so well--my beaming with joy because I wasn't adopted and the befuddled look on the assistant novice mistress's face. As that one ad said, "Priceless!"

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's such a sweet story! :)

    Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grandchildren are the future and we are history. It's up to us to fill in the mysteries of the past that they never knew and prepare them for the future that will one day be theirs. Kids want to know so much until they become teenagers and then they know it all.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!