Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Little Girls in Crowns


There are very few television shows that I go out of my way to avoid.  I mean, close my eyes and hum loudly while I zoom past it with the remote.

This particular show is “Toddlers and Tiaras”.  It is a reality show that follows a certain few pre-school girls and their mothers as they shape their lives and future through the beauty pageant business. 

It is difficult to describe.  I do not want to write something that does further damage to these three – six year old girls.  I will say that these mothers (and sometimes fathers) need serious psychiatric help.  Even as the words come out of their mouths, “I just know that little _____ loves being in a pageant!  She told me so…” I see a little girl who has missed a childhood.

Wasn’t anything at all learned with the unsolved murder of Jon Benet Ramsey?


Usually the mother is a former pageant participant herself, or always wanted to be in the beauty pageant.  There is so much pain in these expressed desires, and it becomes apparent as the mother and girl interact. 

How has this affected the general society of little girls?  Well, it has fed into turning little girls into little sluts, as seen in the clothing industry.  I went to buy some size 6 panties for my granddaughters, and there was a rack of padded bras (size 6) right there.  “Oh, look, Grandma!  Bright Eyes would like a bra like that!”  Bright Eyes is 6 ½ years old, and she will not get a bra like that as long as I have breath!

It is a distorted and sick world our children face.  They must rely on adult intelligence and protection.  What in the world are these parents thinking? Or, are they thinking?

Post Script:  I have never included a video on my blogs; I would rather write.  But, words did not seem adequate for my rage. Also, I am technologically inept.  

9 comments:

  1. I would be humming right along past that station with you, Susan! My husband and I tried to watch one episode of that show, just out of morbid curiosity. It was horrible. Nausiating, even. I know people with little girls who put them in dance and gymnastics and where I remember going to gymnastics to learn how to turn flips, these little girls seem dressed to pole dance!! It's frightening and it does so much damage to their self esteem.

    I guess all we can do is nurture every little girl we come in contact with, nurture who they are on the inside.

    Great post,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. It IS a terribly distorted world, Susan. Sometimes I can hardly stand to think about what my grandchildren are facing "out there."

    Also, thanks for stopping by yesterday and commenting on the excerpt I posted from my current ghost-written memoir in progress. Even though I've put myself out there before, it is still difficult to put my friend out there! Ghost writing is difficult. But we've gotten this far, and we're both determined to do this. Your response and others like it help me keep going. Thanks!
    Ann Best, Author of In the Mirror, A Memoir of Shattered Secrets

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I've seen this show...watched the whole thing all the way through then tried to gouge my eyes out. Those sweet little girls often cry from the discomfort inflicted on them to get them to look like miniature 25 year old hookers. They do their little show on stage and you can hear them asking their Momma how they did, sometimes apologizing for forgetting to do something. Just one more example of how the female of the species is exploited and often by their own kind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen the show but have heard about it. It IS a shame that grown adults would put thier children through this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is so much I could say about this show, but you said it all. It is dispicable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe this show is still on the air. Why are people watching it? I actually can't believe it got made in the first place.

    Needless to say, I share all of your negative sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes it is sickening the crap the parents do. It's all them trying to live through their kids because they refuse to grow the heck up or some other inept quality they have, that makes them think their kids should look slutty and whatever else.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree! The clothing industry makes me sick! I remember my daughter attending a play date at the park. when I saw what the other 5 year-old girl was wearing I almost fainted. She was wear extremely short shorts athat were also low on the waist. on the back side was written the word "Angel". I have seen those bras and all I can say is that Moms everywhere should just not buy them.
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Susan, Everyone who has commented thus far has expressed the same stunned reaction to what our society--or at least part of our society--is doing to our children today. I feel the same. As "Starting Over" said, this show is despicable. I fear for the children of today. Dee

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!