Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Leaf



I was a bud when I heard a baby’s first word.  Her mother was below me, pushing the stroller.  “Bah!”  It was a great word. 

I was almost leafed out when the boy on a red bike slid into my tree.  He scraped his arm and knee; he ran inside crying.  The red bike lay below me for a while.  I don’t know its thoughts, but I am certain it hurt much more than the boy.

In bright summer, I danced in the warm breezes.  The young lady with yellow hair strolled beneath me with the young man in military uniform.  They leaned against my tree, whispering promises, planning the future, and kissing lightly.

As the air cooled at night, I felt my color seeping back into the tree.  I tried to stop it, but it didn’t hear me.  My edges became golden, and along my spine, burgundy red appeared. 

The boy on the red bike rode under me to start school.  I watched the baby taking her first steps; she stopped to pat my tree.  The young lady with yellow hair ambled along while reading a letter; she was laughing and crying, then laughing.



Daytime changed from cool to cold, and I let go of my tree, falling to the ground with the other leaves.  Next year, another leaf will watch for my friends.   Will it love them as much as I?


7 comments:

  1. Very nice write, capturing the beauty of nature and life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here we see, Susan, that your imagination is so creative. Leaves and trees and bicycles all have feelings and thoughts. When I was in college I wrote many short stories from the point of view of nature and so your story today especially appealed to me. Thank you.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such an amazingly, talented and powerful writer. You speak of things that will always stay with me. You write few words, but share so much with them. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this and got wrapped up in the idea of becoming a leaf and seeing the world through her eyes. This was beautiful and creative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful way to represent the passage of time...

    Loved it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! The leaf's perspective is unique and written beautifully.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!