Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Bottles on the Topmost Shelf

1st Writes Photo

Over the years, Helen had dusted the shelves for her Great-Aunt Elspeth.  At first Helen could reach only the bottom shelf, and Aunt Elspeth had praised her. 

“Oh, what a magnificent job you have done!  Someday,” Aunt Elspeth had pointed to the very top shelf, “you will reach that shelf!  I will let you choose the bottle you love the most!”

Each time Helen polished and cleaned the shelves, she gazed at the bottles so far out of her reach.  ‘Someday…’  One time Helen would favor the green bottle, but the next time she dusted, she desired the pink bottle.

Years stacked up in numbers as Helen grew and she could dust the next shelf, and then the next.  Which one would she choose?  The blue?  The violet?  So lovely, so hard to decide.

When Helen could just almost reach the shelf, Aunt Elspeth dropped dead right in front of her.  By this time, Helen was now grown as much as she ever would; she was a mother and a grandmother.  As she closed the eyes of her now-deceased aunt, Helen smiled gently.

Then Helen found a sturdy stool, and a box.  She stepped onto the stool, and stood level with the shelf.  Gazing fondly at each bottle, Helen sighed.  Reaching tentatively, Helen spoke, “One?  Hell, I’m going to take them all!” 

6 comments:

  1. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

    I visited a museum today and wore myself out. Then I came home and found your new posting. I followed the story so closely wondering which bottle she'd choose.

    And then, low and behold and above and beyond and far and wee....then!!!!!! she took them all.

    I laughed out loud and I'm still grinning!

    Oh, and by the way---thank you, Susan, for commenting on my posting today. I'm so glad we're reading one another's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a twist!

    I'm so glad you like to do the See Photo Writes with us! The more, the merrier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol that sounds like Helen had something to do with the old lady's death. :-P

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!