Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Clare in the Mist

Clare in the mist, courtesy of http://1stwrites.blogspot.com


‘Today, I will watch for him today,’ Clare thought, staring out across the bay.

The mist roiled about her, soaking her to the skin.  Clare shivered and then her skin relaxed in the warmth that followed.  Listening for a sound, she found herself in a cocoon of mist and silence. 

How many days had Jackson been gone?  ‘Today is three-hundred eighty-four’, she rolled the number around in her head.  Flash images of his back as he slung his rucksack  over his shoulder, growing smaller in the distance as he rowed his curragh away from her—that’s all she could see now.  His face was a blur, lost in a mist itself.

Still no sound, Clare strained to hear, to see just a hint that Jackson was coming back to her.  That he would stay this time.

Then a sound, ker-plunk, broke the stillness of the air, the glassiness of the water.

Click on the link  below the intriguing photo to take you to the blog site.



9 comments:

  1. Ohhh, your intriguing story is a great match for the intriguing photo. Thanks so much for participating, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really interesting picture. Perfect for inspiring stories.

    FYI, that link isn't working for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ker-plunk? turtle falling off a log? fish jumping? bird poop? Now I have to know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good writing. I tried to click the link on but it would not work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A compelling scene. I like it. But the link doesn't work for me either (as several above have said also).

    Thanks for stopping by today. You said you thought about entering the blogfest but didn't know what to give away. My book was all *I* could think of--and a guest post, which I've already advertized I will do anyway. We do what we can do.
    Ann Best, Author of In the Mirror, A Memoir of Shattered Secrets

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm intrigued! What was the noise? You've got my attention!

    Thanks for linking up! I love reading your fiction!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 384...what is she still mulling over him for? She should move on! And yes, what made that sound? Is he back? If so, where has he been? I'm afraid he'd have to hear a piece of my mind. :0)


    The link is http://1stwrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldn't click the link... The story is really good...wish I could read more!
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Intriguing piece! I love the description of the scene--and I have to wonder as well why she is still waiting for him to return.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!