Saturday, August 6, 2011

...and the battle rages...

Photos courtesy of Bing.com
There are times in parenting when the girl child tries to face down the mother and uses every defiant eye-roll, planted arms on hips, face forward, and shrill voice known in the little girl armory.

What should have been a normal, “Okay, Mom.  I’ll put that away right now!”,  becomes a shouting match. 
Angry Little Girl

Then there is a lot more yelling, some chasing, running upstairs, and more yelling only more shrill. 

The next minutes get all blurry because they happen at super-fast speed: 
You can't make me!

Girl gets hoisted up in a football carry; 

·                  Girl grabs the door frame with both hands;

No, I won't.                                
          Mother pries the hands loose; 

·                  Mother drops girl on the bed;

·                   Girl screams acidic defiance and insults; 

                  Mother threatens spanking; 

·            Girl grips the twin bed with both hands, hurling a final volley of unintelligible insults; 
       
  Mother rolls the girl over and gives one good swat;


·      Mother leaves screeching girl in room;
·         and, the door slams. 

Thirty years ago, I dealt with my own little shrieking girl, who is yet to be a mother herself.  

 Now my other adult daughter has her own little harpy girl to contend in  hand-to-hand battle.   

I feel badly for her.  

I have had it with you!
 I must confess, however, that as all this battle royal went down, I was sweeping the kitchen floor with my eyes averted and a smile on my face. 

13 comments:

  1. I personally can't wait to be in your position. AAAhhh sweet justification.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always said to my daughter, "I hope you have a kid JUST like you." And boy, did she ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so hard to watch from the bleachers. But, they must learn the hard way . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girls can be so hard sometimes. I think you get more for your money with daughters and granddaughters though LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my, sounds like fun from the bleachers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! I knew it! I always think my mom is doing the same thing when my almost 5 year old daughter argues with me. What can I say, I deserve it. I gave my mom plenty of grief growing up.
    My daughter, unfortunately, has the same spitfire in her.
    BTW you asked what SCBWI stands for: Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators. Non profit org of awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! I remember this being my mother and me... What a nice POV you have now :)
    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mother hoped we would have triplet boys. Still waiting for them to turn up:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess the old cliche, "What goes around, comes around....etc is so true. If they only knew, huh?
    Manzanita@Wannabuyaduck

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, these pics are great! My daughter is twelve, and we still have many eye roll moments, even an occasional tantrum.

    I wish I could say that I'd silently chuckle at her future spats with her children, but I know I'll laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mom always threatened: "one day I hope you have a daughter just like you!"

    Mom got her wish! She doesn't even bother to hide her joy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a new follower..love the stories! Would you like to review a book written by my son and myself...and then share it with your daughter;))
    Let me know what you think....http://childhoodmyths.net/blog
    The book is "How to Break 10 Common Childhood Myths", now available at Amazon!!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!