Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sunshine caves!

Sunshine caves:  I can borrow “The Backyardigans” DVD!  (refer to 22 March 2011 post)

It wasn’t an easy sell. 

I picked her up from preschool and took her on an errand to WalMart, where I bought her lunch at McDonald’s: a McNuggets Happy Meal, which is the most expensive of the H/M deals.  Then we cruised through the little girl clothing and she selected some ‘Dora-the-Explorer’ undies, and new socks.  We meandered through the DVD section, where a new episode of “Angelina Ballerina” was down to $10, so she held onto it with white-knuckles. 

I never knew this about Sunshine, but she is a pretty smooth negotiator.  Oh, to look at her, one would think she is all fairy dust, sparkly sweetness, and a gentle spirit.  But, Sunshine is not like that, at least, not all the time.  She can be ruthless.

I sailed by the toy section like an ice cube on a hot slope.  Still, Sunshine flagged me down.  Slow-down-there-Grandma-how-much-is-that-doll?  Kept walking and said something about $20-and-that-is-really-expensive.

Getting through check-out, with all the candy bar traps that lay waiting, took all the teaching experience I possess in the area of re-directing students.  Fortunately, Sunshine was seated inside the cage/cart, with my diet Coke, and holding onto the DVD.  With both hands engaged, and with the sales clerk joking with her, I didn’t have to bite the candy bar bullet.

With “The Backyardigans” in my hands while my husband drove me home, I thought, ‘HAH!  Gotcha, didn’t I, Sunshine!’  But, of course, that isn’t the case.


3 comments:

  1. Sunshine is soooo awesome!

    P. S. I love your descriptions. You're such an amazing writer. I adore your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so funny! "Oh, to look at her, one would think she is all fairy dust, sparkly sweetness, and a gentle spirit. But, Sunshine is not like that, at least, not all the time. She can be ruthless." Definitely laughing out loud here. Glad you were able to snag the Backyardigans DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading this - there is so much humour to be had in the day-to-day doings of this little one!
    Thanks (and to Sunshine too) for the smile
    Lx

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!